It’s a pretty glum and grey day out so far, but I refuse to let that stop me from doing the things that make me feel great. I tend to work long days on Mondays...it’s just kind of happenstance based on a lot of factors. So Monday morning I am always faced with a dilemma.
Do I sleep in one last time before starting a new week? Or, do I get up and do something, something that will make me feel awesome?
I hope it’s pretty obvious which route I took today. After a weekend of reflecting and having some pretty intentionally vulnerable conversations, I felt like I needed to show myself a little extra love today. I got up (it was soooo hard) at 7:30 and went for a jog to start. I’ll admit that after a 3-week hiatus, I had some self-convincing to do. So when I at least scrambled together 2 miles on the pavement, truth is I felt accomplished!
Goal 1: check.
I used Isa Chandra’s Veganomicon cookie recipes as my starting point, but pretty quickly got carried away with some ideas of my own. The end result?
Maple Banana Spice Cookies!!
I hope you enjoy, and have a delightful Monday!
2 ⅓ Cup White Whole Wheat Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Ginger
½ tsp Nutmeg
½ tsp Salt
1 Small Ripe Banana
¾ Cup Almond Butter
½ Cup Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
½ Cup Maple Syrup
½ Cup Raw Agave Nectar
¼ Cup Coconut Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Almond Extract
½ Cup White Sesame Seeds
¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
1. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
2. In another large mixing bowl, mash banana with soy milk.
3. Add almond butter, maple syrup, agave nectar, coconut oil, and extracts to the mashed banana. Use an emersion blender or hand mixer to puree until creamy.
4. Make a well in dry ingredients, and add wet mixture.
5. Mix together all ingredients until well incorporated, using hands at the end if it gets too tough to stir.
6. In a small bowl, combine sesame seeds and granulated sugar.
7. Roll dough into 1-2” balls and press into seed/sugar mixture.
8. Slightly flatten cookies with your hands.
9. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.